Friday, November 03, 2006

Image Meaning and Composition Assignment

For this assignment I'm meant to take an object in my possession which has value to me in terms of fine and applied design, and assess its functionality, aesthetic beauty, communication and decorative/entertainment value.

I have chosen my trusty baseball cap which have continued to purchase the exact same design for 4 years now.Don't wear it too much these days due to age but it used to be pretty much a part of me.

Function: Fashion accessory to wear on your head, shield your face from sunlight, keep your head warm, for some to show their support for the New York Yankees baseball team.

Aesthetic Beauty: Dark Blue background, large bold infamous NY symbol on the front, random white markings and random text from Chinese,Japanese and British newspapers randomly printed around exterior.

Communication: In the U.S. people may identify you as a NY Yankees baseball fan, however in Britain (and U.S.) I'd say it symbolises a love for the hip hop/urban music scene. Baseball caps with conspicuous designs like this one are popular within the hip hop,garage and drum n bass scenes and may represent your taste in music to others. This cap could also be associated with threat or attitude as they are often worn by youth gangs/rudeboys/chavs.

Decorative or Entertainment value: Fairly fashionable and unique cap - has character, represents my love for urban music,good dancing accessory for dnb raves, although I'm apparently fully english I like to think that I have some kind of oriental roots and feel the typography on the cap represents that sort of!

No comments: