Thursday, December 06, 2007

"Show me, Don't Tell me" Seminar
This seminar with Jools allowed us to practice our script writing skills. We were given a limited amount of time to write dialogue based upon various given scenarios. Actually really enjoyed doing this task...been a good 6 years since doing my English GCSE and was fun to do some sort of creative writing once again. Going to start taking a deeper interest in this writing for screen media especially as we've got to write that 6 page script for next terms assessment task, but also because I love the creative side of it and being able to do exactly what I want.....write a story from a vision and make them say and do exactly what I want them to. Don't think much of what I'll want to write will always make too much sense or be very realistic, but then I appreciate surrealist/off-key styles of film and animation (e.g.South Park) so thats pretty much the point of it.

Story A
Complete dialogue....should be about two people discussing how they should deal with/pass on some bad news without saying what the news is.

A – What are we going to do about this?

B – I dunno

A – Well, we’ve got to do something

B – Why?

A – Because she gonna find out at some point

B – Maybe we could just buy her a new one and pretend it never happened yeah? All those things look the same…not like she gonna check it’s fucking dental records or something.

A – I dunno bout that….check it for any distinguishing marks.

B – There ain’t nothing to check….it got a head, legs n a shell.

A – Alright….where the nearest pet store?

B – Kilburn High Street.....I think.

A - You got money?

B - You the one with the snobby high paying estate agent job.

A - You're the one that dropped the kettle on it's fucking head!

B - Fair enough....I'm broke though, I'll have to owe you.

A - You better. Come, let's get this shit sorted before she gets back.

Story B
Swap scripts with someone else. Edit, add or delete text for dialogue to tell a story of either two parents discussing how to explain their divorce to their children or of a driver and passenger lost on the road.

A – What are we going to do about this?

B – I dunno

A – Well, we’ve got to do something

B – Why?

A – Because she’s gonna find out when she wakes up

B – Maybe she’ll stay asleep we’ll find our way home and it’ll be like it never happened yeah? All those things look the same…this maps shit.

A – I dunno bout that….check it for any distinguishing marks.

B – There ain’t nothing to check….it got red lines, green lines and little chef symbols.

A – Alright….where the nearest petrol station? You got money?

Story C
Use affection or anger, through dialogue hint at how B feels about A. Add actions (stage directions that enhance the situation and/or characters.

LIVING ROOM/NIGHT
A – Where the fuck did you put my vodka Frank?

B – I haven’t touched your vodka darling.

A – Don’t lie to me you sonovabitch, I know you took it, you can’t tell me what to do you piece of shit….I’m gonna call da police….I’m gonna make you pay for demoralising my fre-fre-fre.....

B – KIM! PLEASE.....sit down and shut up…..your drunk…..listen to me….I havn't touched your vodka….you probably left it under your pillow again.....or in the bathroom cabinet with your toothbrush.

Kim leaves living goes into bathroom.....there is silence.Frank sits in his lazboy awaiting her return.Kim comes out holding a quarter-full large bottle of Smirnoff.

A - I didn't leave that there you bastard!

B - Who did then?The Tooth Fairy?Santa Claus?Ice-T???Maybe even your 2 year old daughter went looking through the alcohol cabinet for it, climbed up onto the bathroom sink and hid it there as some kind of humourous prank!

A - You did it! you evil lying sonovabitch!I know what you're trying to do......break me down and drive me out of the house!

B - Whatever darling.I'll see you later..............bitch (under his breath).

Frank takes a rolled up £10 note and snorts a 4-inch line of ketamine off a 'Little Mermaid' DVD case.

No comments: